Hydrogenated Vegetable Shortenings : what is it?
Hydrogenated vegetable shortenings
Hydrogenated shortenings are the biggest group of fats used in the commercial baking industry. They feature the following characteristics:
- They are made from much the same oils as margarine.
- They are versatile fats with good creaming ability.
- Their hydrogenation diﬀers according to the speciﬁc use for which the fat is designed.
- They are 100% fat – no water.
- They keep well for six to nine months.
Variations on these shortenings are: emulsiﬁed vegetable shortenings, roll-in pastry shortenings, and deepfrying fats.